Powergaming

From: Lewis Jardine <JARDINE_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 17:47:02 +0100 (BST)

Hi All

        One of the false David's states that Onslaught is an example of a powergamer as he is largely a collection of magic items. Individually these are reasonable enough, but as they have little context they do not serve to enhance *The Character*. However, combined, they serve to make Onslaught (the collection of stats) much harder to kill.

        This is exactly the same sort of effect that drove me to give up AD&D TM etc. Characters in AD&D are largely defined by their magic items and to a slightly lesser degree by their class and level. In my mind these are not *Characters* they are merely constructs...

        Actually, I do still play AD&D, about twice a year. A bunch of very long time friends meet up for a boys' weekend out and we get very drunk and reminiss about what out *Characters* did. Funnily enough the conversations are not about what monsters etc. were killed but about the memorable and silly things that happened such as:

DM:- Who opens the door?
Players:- The hobbit opens the door.
DM:- The hobbit dies.
Players (laughing) :- We haven't got a hobbit!

Or standing in front of the big baddy, hopping around on one leg. Shouting "I'm gross, I'm gross." (Don't ask me why, but the baddy still couldn't hit him!)

Oh, and we occassionally get round to playing the game. Its never as good as the memories though...

So now I have confessed my sins, I'll get back to the point. Role playing is about *Characters* and not unkillable constructs. So I'd like to see Onslaught returned to being a character with Deville. Lets forget his stats (Yes, lets!) and wait for some more Deville...

Cheers

        Lewis (One time National AD&D Champion!)