Silence is Golden

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 09 May 1996 21:19:42 +1200

Sandy Petersen:

Sandy had said that the Cult of Silence was nonviolent and that any violence involving it was performed by its enemies.

Me>>Umm, presumably this refers to the peaceful phase of the Cult
>>before it was perverted into a horde of drug-crazed fanatics which
>>then conquered most of Fonrit and Umathela?

> What the devil are you talking about, Peter. They didn't
>"conquer" anyone. They converted a large minority of the population
>to the Cult of Silence, but they certainly didn't come as an army
>with banners.

According to Breakout 34:

'It seemed just another aberrant of mankind until 1237, when Elassi the Stiffler, ruler of the city of Emanus, lopped off an ear, declared himself a prophet and launched a scathing campaign of conquest, persecuting teachers of other philosophies, forcibly intiating foes into Silence. He popularised a debased form of Silence worship which transformed into drug-ridden, fanatical devotees. A widespread region, called the Lands of the Silenced, were turned into wastelands by the conquests.'

This is sometime after the Wordless Prophet in 1129 lest Sandy think that I believed him to have been violent. The peaceful cult was persecuted occasionally but I wasn't referring to them. The 'Evil Silence' was crushed in 1313 (thus the War against Silence dates in the Glorantha Book (G:CotHW) but devotees still exist. The Vadeli did persecute them during their brief Pamaltelean Empire for reasons unknown (using their Sedalpist Henchmen which is ironic considering that the Sedalpists calim to be heirs to the original teachings of the Wordless Prophet!).

>They _can't_. Remember, they can't communicate with one another?

IMO they don't really need to communicate to conquer. They could develop sensitive hearing and send roving gangs to beat up anybody who has their stereo on in the neigbourhood frex. _If_ the Silence was infectious (ie the quieter you were, the more you could feel the bliss enjoyed by a nearby devotee of the Cult), then the CoS will spread slowly but surely.

BTW being silent and can't communicating isn't a hard and fast relation in the CoS. Some sects could use magical communication whereas others refrained from even reading and writing.

>And the Silent Prophet was non-violent no matter what exaggerated lies
>you tell about his followers.

As the Silent Ones cannot speak out, we have only heard one side of the story. Perhaps you could tell us the real story behind the War against Silence?