lunar cavalry

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Thu, 09 May 1996 09:20:00 -0500 (EST)

  Hi--

  Howard Fielding replying to Fredrik(?) talks about the Lunar cavalry.
> Most of the units i know nothing about....presumably when Soldiers of
  the Red Moon comes out it will detail these units and the rest of the   Lunar Host!?

  I don't know if the authors of that plan to detail all the units or not,   but in my campaign I play that at least three of the Cavalry Corps units   come from Sylila (with its ancient tradition of Hyaloring rule and more   recently Ingkot's horse breeding). These units are:

  Arrowstone: I think I posted a story regarding the Arrowstone here at   some point in the past. This cavalry corps is drawn from western Sylila   including some of the lands of Dara-Ni. They are noted for wearing red   arrowstones--sometimes set in their helms, but more typically in   necklaces. The arrowstone does not symbolize the use of bow & arrow,   but instead is a symbol of the power of the heart. This cavalry corps   is noted for straight charges and for their ability to regroup.

  Uplands: This cavalry corps is drawn from southern Sylila where the   hills rise toward the Autumn Mountains. They claim to be the true heirs   of Ingkot Axe-and-a-Half (husband of Conq Daughter) and are noted for   the axes they wield from horseback. They are a stormy and contentious   corps and dislike infantry as a matter of pride.

  Riverfork: This cavalry corps is drawn from the eastern part of Sylila   along the Oslir river. This unit has an affinity for water and are   known for their skill in finding river fords and for dramatic river   crossings against their foes. They follow a corps spirit called Radh   Silverspear and the silverspear carried by their bannerman is the corps'   focal point.

  As for the other cavalry units, two are reasonably well known.   Antelope Lancers--Sable Riders from the Hungry Plateau; their ranks have   probably been supplemented by Praxian Sable Riders while they've been   resident in Prax; they rode with Jannisor and betrayed that hero during   the Great Sable conversion in the 1st Wane.   Char-un--from Erigia; they are of horse nomad stock and still follow   ancient nomadic traditions; they joined the Red Goddess during her   battle with the Carmanians and later settled in Erigia in the 1st Wane   following the Skyburn.
  [See Heroes or Wyrms Footnotes, History of the Lunar Empire--Zero Wane   and 1st Wane]

  The following are my speculations on the rest and have no basis in   anything written, just thoughts off the top of my head.   Bell Temple--from Kostaddi; they answer the call of the bell from their   traditional home and are known for wearing bells upon their outfits to   startle their foes.
  Whipstock--from Rinliddi; noted for their use of the whip upon their own   horses, they are considered cruel only to those who do not know the   horse nomads.
  Queens--from Doblia (or Naveria); they call upon the ancient Queens of

  the land for their strength.
  Starkin--from Rinliddi; they call upon Pole Star to guide their pathways   and often ride their steeds in the night.   Moonarrow--from Rinliddi; they use their moon bows to strike at the   horse nomads who venture in from the Redlands.   Unriver--from Darjiin; this corps rides horses and crosses the land in   contrast to the river folk who dominate Darjiin and the Darjiini rivers.   Wingtemple--from Rinliddi; their helms have decorative wings and they   have magic gained from Vrimak(?) that allows them to give their horses   wings on their feet (so they can quickly cross the grasslands without   hitting ruts--not really flying though)   Winedance--?

  Harald