Re: waertagi, brithos, malasps

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 96 11:51:39 -0500

>Waertagi
>How do they propel their dragon-ship?

        With large undines. Riding on the crest of a huge wave like colossal surfboards.

Brithos
>Nick Brooke said that Brithos is forever gone. I like the idea
that the Waertagi can reopen the way between Brithos and the world:

        Whatever the Waertagi return, if anything, will not be Old Brithos.

>1) the ancestral Brithini (Zzabur et all) are too good as villains
to disapear >from the world

        They are not gone from the world. There are plenty of Brithini left around. Also, nothing prevents anyone from finding individual clots of Old Brithini up to and including Zzabur somewhere hiding out. Finally, if you pine for the Old Brithini, set your campaign in the Second Age. If you want to play in the Gbaji Wars, set your campaign in the First Age. Nothing forces anyone to play in the Third Age.

>2) At the dawn, there were only brown Vadeli, when Dormal lifted
the Closing he >found red Vadelis. I think that the dicovery of Brithos will bring back the blue >Vadeli in the world.

        The blue Vadeli are already on their way back. Once they're returned, no one will need Brithini as villains any more.

>Malasps
>When attacking ships, malasps have some problems to solve

        This is good, however. Mermen should, in general, have trouble attacking ships, or else sea voyages become far too hard. Their attacks should be at least as exceptional as encountering a pirate vessel.

>First, without aerial allies they cannot detect ships beyond 30 km
(the >horizon).

  1. they can _hear_ a ship coming further than that with the right magic.
  2. they can easily set out scouts. Placing an observer every 60 km along a front line is trivial for even a small tribe. Use telepathy or mindlink to communicate to the tribe.

>Even if a malasp can swim faster than a ship, she does not tire
during pursuits.

        Hence malasps do not chase down ships, but lay ambushes.

>Ralzakark
>What does the sky terror look like?

        It has a long neck, six wings, sixteen legs, a lashing tail, and many exceedingly unfair chaotic powers.

>I checked the various maps of Dorastor through the ages.I think
that demon >plateau is the remains of the tower of justice, where Arkat and Gbaji had their >final fight.

        So do I. But since Dorastor's topography changes every few decades, who can be sure? History is a stochastic process which erases the evidence of its passing (it is impossible to discern the influence of Napoleon by looking at modern Europe's political situation -- only records enable us to view this). Nowhere is this more true than Dorastor. Do the Hellwood elves come from Rist? Maybe. _They_ don't know, and neither does anyone else now. Did the Poisonthorn Elves originate in Gbaji's day? Could be.

        NOTE: this does NOT mean that the Hellwood Elves may not have decided to "return" to Rist, nor that they do not believe they come from Rist. They may have a thousand theories to account for their existence. They may have only one such theory. They know that everything about the history of Dorastor is a lie, but _something_ caused their presence. Maybe it was Rist.

        Maybe the Telmori of Dorastor really are descendants of the original Telmori tribe known to have sought refuge there. And maybe they are something else entirely. Grayskins tainted with intelligence and lycanthropy? A failed experiment by Ralzakark or the Krjalki? Descendents of the Mad Sultanate? Physical ghosts, unaware of their dead status? A complex illusion due to fail any day? ALL of these possibilities are available in Dorastor. I have my favorite, and so ought everybody else who cares about this land.

NOTE: saying that no one in Glorantha knows the truth about Dorastor is not the same as saying that there _is_ no truth, or that a GM doesn't know the truth.

Sandy