Re: TTRP vs. LARP

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 96 16:51:58 -0500

Nils asks:

>I have one question for those with LARP experience. One good thing
about TTRP is >that a GM with at least basic skills of empathy can notice shy and insecure >players and try to draw them out and get them involved by paying more attention >to them than to the loudmouths.
>how do you handle theses people in a LARP so that they don't just
stand in a >corner watching all the fun stuff passing them by? Is there a real risk that a >LARP is fun for the extroverted people, but less satisfactory for the >introverted?

        In a nutshell, yes. Like any other group activity. BUT, there are factors in a LARP that aid these people. To wit ...

  1. Instead of one GM, there are 4-10+ directors and assistant directors, any one of whom can spot an outcast, and be triggered into assisting that person to finding allies, plots and fun.
  2. Unlike a TTRP, in which usually new PCs must try to fit themselves into the party, in a LARP, the "party" is already formed for you, and you are an integral part of it. If your character is the court magician of Louis the Not-So-Bold, then you will, of necessity, be engaged in royal intrigues. If your character controls the Angleworm Mercenaries, then anyone who wants them for an upcoming battle _must_ come and negotiate with you. If you are an evil member of the Malia Underground, then perforce there are other such evil members, and they will not only seek you out, but get you to help them in their plans. Players tend to drag one another into their plot lines willy nilly in these games.
  3. Unlike a TTRP, in which if the party can't accomplish a given scenario task, they usually must try and try again, in a LARP you can pursue multiple goals that have nothing to do with one another. If you can't seduce the Queen of the May, then the heck with her. There's always that pirate expedition that wanted you to accompany them. Or your feckless son who needs support in his romantic efforts. Or ... you get the idea.
  4. LARP players are very missionary-oriented (we want _everyone_ to enjoy LARPs, so we can play in more of them). Walk up to one who seems venerable and wise, and say to him. "I'm lost. This is my first LARP and I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Have any suggestions?" And most of them will proceed to give you some excellent advice.

Sandy P.