Army Competence?

From: Lewis Jardine <JARDINE_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 11:52:53 +0100 (BST)

Hi All & Sandy

        I was interested in your Gloranthan army league table. Generally I agreed but the end blew it for me.

Horali 5

These guys are ALL at over 100% in at least 5 weapons MINIMUM and they are each supported by a Brithini Wizard (Damage Boosting, Damage Resistance, Enhance STR, CON, SIZ, DEX, Skin of Life, Cast Back, Spirit Resistance, Spell Resistance all at a bare minimum of 10+ (my guess is more like 20)). They also have a century's worth of armouring enchantments and Strengthening enchantments. Just imagine a volley of arrows from these dudes. The bloody things would punch straight through a hoplite shield, plate armour, and 4 points of magical protection and still do d8 damage to you on a *normal* hit. Just imagine a critical or impale!

Well I am quite happy with this as a supernatural value 5.

Iron Dwarfs 5

Similar to the about, except the Iron Dwarfs are even tougher! Perhaps they have less magical support though.

KIngdom of War 6

You've got to be joking. Alright, all the KoWs are fanatical, leathal, skilled, homocidal maniacs. BUT they have neither the massive personal magical support, nor the absolutely top-notch equipment (can you imagine the others venturing forth without at least 20 APs?).

Personally, I don't imagine that the KoWs are any better than the elite troops of most nations. The problem with the KoW is that ALL their forces are of that standard AND virtually the entire nation are warriors. Combined this makes them virtually unstoppable. Its not as if they are individually that hard to kill (like Horali and Iron Dwarfs), its just that when you have killed the first one there are a hundred more eager to step in and take his place!

So my take on the KoW is 4.5 and LOTS OF THEM.

Cheers

        Lewis