Comments on a collection of threads

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 17:42:06 +0200

Humakti:

> (1). The connection with Death, what effects does an avatar of this power have
> on his surroundings? (Very important this one)

>Loren did a good bit on this, but generally, for humans, cold, fear,
>loss, separation, decay.
>For Uz, this is probably just like home.

For an Uz it probably feels like a hot, dry, sun-blazing, dead desert.

> (3). What powers other than those related to combat does a minor hero of Death
> have access too? Eg can the cause a field of Death around themselves that
> causes seperation?

>Separating magic fom its source, people from their emotions, 1HP of
>damage to those within 10' (small animals and plants die as he passes,
>circles of dead vegetation where he slept). Fear/unease in non-death
>worshippers who see him. Food rots at his touch

I'm not so sure about the decay and rotting. Humakt's death is swift merciless separation. The food might become tasteless and lose some of its nutritonal value, but rotting and decay don't seem right.

In my gaming group we have always ruled that Humakti are sterile. In the campaign with the grossly powerful characters I haven't posted yet, the Humakti (who is _very_ close to Death) is not allowed through the doors of any Chalana Arroy temple. He sets off every alarm they have just by being close.

Another effect for a Humakti hero is that not only will he never be resurrected, but those slain by him cannot be brought back to life either (I think the above mentioned character had such a power).

Michael Raaterova:

>Axe Maidens should be Death-in-service-of-Life

Or, Death-as-revenge.

>Death Lords are Death-for-Disorder

Or, Death-as-hunger (bloodlust, hunger for wanton destruction and mayhem).

Pam speaks up for Shargash as the Nice Death God. Shades of Shiva Nataraja?

TTRP and LARP:

I asked about LARPs and various personality types and got some good answers, especially from Sandy.

However...

Sandy:
>PROBLEM THREE: Yourself

>If it's hard for you to walk up to a complete stranger and start talking to them

While I consider myself a fairly good roleplayer in TTRP contexts, I'm fully aware that I am abysmally bad at social interaction. I just _can't_ walk up to strangers, start a conversation and get things moving. Whether in or out of a role doesn't matter.

That would of course severely limit the choice of LARP characters. In a TTRP I can at least make up for my own shortcomings with a higher level of abstraction, through dice rolls etc. After all, I do want to play charismatic characters too now and then.

This is a reason I would probably be one of those who didn't have much fun in a LARP.

Erik Sieurin describes (in an excellent summary) live roleplaying in Sweden. As I am periferally associated with a group of people who are very much into this I can only nod my head in recognition. I haven't participated in any event yet, for above mentioned reason and because I just don't have the time to make all the gear I'd need.

>First of all, the current trend, and it has been the trend for years,
>could be called "maximum visual realism".

People tend to take that a bit too far. The group I know refuses to take practical food like potatoes and rice with them 'because they didn't have them in Sweden in the early middle ages'. Which I find a bit weird since it's fantasy roleplaying, not historical reenactment.

I have been put off a bit by the very elitist attitude of the 'live-ers'.

>Sigh. I'll guess I'll have to settle for a Swedish style Glorantha-
>based game.

If you run such an event I'll come! The usual setting I have heard of is a very bland, run of the mill fantasy with warriors, wizards, orcs and elves with a pseudoeuropean medieval culture.

Nils W				| Here we are!
Office: niwe_at_einku.ericsson.se	| We sail on a ship made of dreams.
Home: nilsw_at_ibm.net