Heroism, favorite cults

From: ANDOVER_at_delphi.com
Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 19:44:31 -0500 (EST)

The most heroic pc single action I ever saw was in our Balazar campaign when a group including women and children had the misfortune to have a random encounter with an allosaur. (By the way, we don't soften encounter rolls or battle rolls in our campaigns -- which is why we don't get Rune levels) The character involved was one with whom the player had a strong identification -- but given the circumstances he ran forward to hold off the allosaur while the rest of the party scattered. What followed was one of the two best episodes of player luck I have ever seen: the allosaur missed with the claw (a 5% chance) -- hit with the bite -- and the PC rolled a critical shield parry, so he wasn't even bashed to the ground. The next round a player in the back critted the creature in the head. Not only did the PC save his family, he was rewarded by being saved himself. As to favorite cults, one of my sons said Lhankor Mhy, the other said Thanatar! Personally, though I have never played a Malkioni except in one LARP, and although it is irritating that God mumbles, I still think he should! So I go with the Invisible God. Jim Chapin