Two bolgs on Freeform and LARP vs TTRP

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 12 May 96 20:17 MET DST

My current experience with LARP of any fashion is quite limited: twice as player (a Cthulhu one, and HtWW1), twice as co-author (one of these as referee, too...), and once as disruptive outside force (thanks, Nick, for letting me fall into my scimitar...).

While I do agree that people tend to identify with their characters more in a "life" situation, I found LARPs to distort the "reality" of the setting even more than TTRP rules do. Just in order to create an interesting situation, some very artificial goals have to be written into peoples' characters, and quite artificial settings are used to get all the characters into one "place" where they can interact.

Court-intrigue style plots are probably best played in a LARPy way, but playing a freeform character is similar to play a TTRP tournament character or a new TTRP character using a rigid previous experience system - you just cannot influence the character's upbringing in any way.

Personally, I'm not sure what I'd choose when faced with the choice between participating in an ongoing campaign-style TTRP or say a few one-off LARPs.
>From the writing experience, I'm more willing to work for the TTRP side, or
the overlapping areas of both, and refereeing TTRP can be as fulfilling as refereeing a LARP - at least you know what is happening most of the time, and after the game.

The currently best simulation of Glorantha seems to be the Decameron style storytelling. I hope to toss in my bolgs as soon I am done with our current LARP project, which kept me from arguing with Alex et al in public for too long already...

Until then, come to Castle Stahleck in a fortnight, and let Ralios Rise! There are characters available yet...