Murder

From: Michael Raaterova <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 08:51:19 +0100

I wrote:

> Death for Death is murder and a capital crime in most societies.

and David Dunham replied

>Perhaps in most societies murder is Death for Self. This obviously rules
>out war, sacrifices, and vengeance for your kin. It may even rule out many
>"crimes of passion" (a Dara Happan noble could probably kill someone he
>found sleeping with his wife, since this is a violation of Yelm's law).
>Note that the Orlanthi capital crime is "secret murder;" once the killer
>shares the news with society, it is no longer Death for Self.

What i meant by Death for Death was killing for no other justification than killing, even if you have reasons to do it (didn't like his face). Which should be a capital crime in most societies.

If an orlanthi commits a secret murder and later shares the news it his deed, he will still be ostracized and outlawed if he didn't have a good justification for his act. If he openly declared his intention in public beforehand and his reasons for wanting to do it, there would still be a trial afterwards to settle the weregild or the declaration of a blood feud, but he wouldn't be ostracized.

I'm not sure what you mean by Death for Self, David. But this was my clarification of what i meant.

Valete