Re: Armies and Navies

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 96 13:51:16 -0500

David Cake:
>I don't know that you can separate commander ability from army quality.
	Easy. Some fine examples:
	1) The British Army throughout WWI. Generally good material
- -- excellent in the case of the B.E.F., but badly-generaled throughout with only the most trivial exceptions. (Please, no Haig apologists need apply.)

        2) The Army of the Potomac during much of the American Civil War. Even its foes recognized its steadfastness and bravery, but with commanders like Mr. F. J. Hooker (after whom prostitutes were named) and Ambrose Burnside (after whom sideburns were named), they were only able to prove their courage in defeat till 1863.

        3) The Roman Army at Cannae. Excellent quality ill-used. Ditto for the Roman army at Carrhae.

        4) Manzikert. 'nuff said.

>The best forces always have good general commander quality,

        In the first place, see above, and in the second place, I AM including the quality of their _officers_ -- just not the grand commander. The fact that the top leadership of the KoW is incredibly crafty and skilled does add to their might. The fact that Loskalm's leadership may not be able to general their forces well is a big problem for them.

        The army of Loskalm is so vastly larger than the KoW that even with their huge quality gulf between the two forces, Loskalm might have a chance with decent commanders. But add to this the awesome danger of the KoW's generals and all is over, unless Loskalm can come up with some of her own. And then last long enough to improve her army's caliber.

> I didn't think the Esrolians are that bad - after all, they have
had a >reasonable amount of success against the Lunars (a 4 on your scale).

        The Esrolians didn't fight the Lunars by their lonesome. All the Holy Country cooperated in Building Wall.

Loskalm's Navy

        I rated them a "1" by accident. Sorry. Ought to have been at least a "2", maybe a "3".

Sandy

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #569