HQ/KoW

From: Nick Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 22:13:21 +0100

HEROQUEST

 IMO using a system not only like Storyteller for a HeroQuest, but *exactly* like storyteller will only enhance your HeroQuest. The conversion of skills, and attributes, over to Storyteller is not too difficult, but the conversion of magic over to Storyteller and any Hero Powers gained back over to RQ would be.
 Personally, if you have a copy of Mage at hand, use this. Convert the amount of Spirit Magic and Rune Magic over to the "dots" of Storyteller. A simple fighter may have 1 point in Spirit magic, while Onslaught will have five in Rune Magic. All magics can be used the same as Mage magic, except the effects produced depend upon the type of magic.

SPIRIT: Limited to the type of things spirit magic does. Befuddle, a low level disrupt (x1 dmg), so you can't fly or teleport. But you could summon spirits and control them.

DIVINE: You can only use effects connected to the Runes that the god you worship possess. Onslaught could use x3 dmg effects, an Orlanthi Wind Lord could fly, Maran Gori can cause Earthquakes. Using the charts in Mage, just about any effect can be counted for.

SORCERY: No idea, it's too varied.

 This means that the actual magic a character has on the real plane is not related to the effects they can make on the HeroPlane. I don't see this as a problem. It would be more *heroic* and dramatic to freeform the abilities that a character can produce. It is one of the best reasons to use the Storyteller system, the freeform aspect.

 I would also like to see GoonQuest II before making any final decision on a HQ system. I would like to know more about the idea of using cards in HQ, I haven't seen Everway and since it's forty pound here in England I doubt I, or any one I know, will have a copy in the foreseeable future (and I daren't buy Mythos, I'll end up addicted to another CCG).

KoW
===

 The idea of a Cult of a Hundred Gods is very intresting, and would be a lot more managable than just having myriads of very recognisable cults that don't have a specific KoW feeling.
 I would call the cult the Path of War and Death; each member on the cult path tries to reach an "enlightened" state wherein they realize the true nature of Death and War. I favour the idea that Kargan Tor is returning to the world via KoW. I have a cult write-up of Kargan Tor somwhere, a friend wrote it some while ago, the cultists would be on the Path of War and Death until they are finally accepted into the Cult of Kargan Tor. Does the KoW include Eastern war gods, or chaos?
Nick Effingham E-Mail:wal_at_eff.u-net.com <None so gaudy, nor as bloody,
as the sword that would,
crash and bash, an' swing with a flash,
and spill thine enemies blood>