elementals damaged by weapons

From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_erols.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 13:17:59 -0400 (EDT)

Ian Gorlick asks in 2/572 why it is that normal weapons can damage elementals. I posed this question many years ago to Chaosium, and got back the reply that elementals had organs inside them which could be hit by weapons, and destruction of those organs killed the elemental. I'm still not satisfied with that answer. I'd prefer a more mystical rule, such as the following:

"Swords are the weapons of storm, and naturally can hurt creatures of darkness, earth, fire, or water, as those elements were conquered by Storm in the God Time. Storm even fought against storm, so swords can hurt sylphs. Likewise, the other elements all turned on themselves at some point, so (contrary to one's rational expectations) a spear or arrow can hurt a Salamander, a mace or sling bullet can hurt a Shade, an axe can hurt a Gnome, and a flail or whip can hurt an Undine."