Lhankor Mhy stuff

From: Michael Raaterova <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 16:46:48 +0100

Nils accuses me of saying silly things:

>Michael Raaterova:
>Isn't it better to post one's appreciation to the list instead of
>saying silly things? :-)

What's silly about it? The 'lemon curry' was from Monty Python and the the other bits was a Command spell, which Martin understood perfectly well.

I didn't post the cult write-up because i wanted to see the reaction to the Schools of Thoughts first (which can propably be incorporated into any LM cult write-up as it doesn't contain game mechanics). LM is a minor cult and GMs might be happy with the official write-up, so there's no need to post another interpretation just for posting. If the digest tribe wanted to see it, they'd ask for it.

I also didn't post it because the text is still beta-version - too unstructured to post, but good enough for my needs as a storyteller.

Nisse again:

>I suppose this was a writeup of
>the Lhankor Mhy cult in civilized areas, since I saw nothing about
>his role as lawspeaker.

So i didn't mention the sage's role as lawspeaker. I also didn't mention any other roles. The article presented possible doctrines for LMs as practiced in temples. The majority of LMs are initiated and educated in temples, even rural lawspeakers, and when you get a bunch of Truth-oriented people together they will argue and speculate about truth and their god, regardless of their level of civilization.

Civilized areas can support larger temples and more LMs, which leads to wider philosophical diversity and argument. Single-sage temples (clan or tribal shrines) propably don't produce much internal diversity, but the sage will still follow some sort of doctrine.

Due to the sedentary nature of most LMs, a certain school of thought or a combination of schools will propably be the dominant practice in a region, to which most LMs adhere, creating regional orthodoxy. I'm not sure which schools are dominant where. Anybody have ideas?

Conflicting schools and wars of theory can only be found in famous temples, which attracts initiates from all over. Serious infighting is not possible in smaller temples for they would disintegrate. The Truth temple in Nochet breeds controversy because LMs from all over Glorantha have come there to study. In Pavis, i'd guess the major conflict is between LM illusionism and the radical visionism of Irripi Ontor.

Martin Crim says:

>Lemon curry, lemon curry, lemon curry.

Which is the magic phrase. The cult write-up is on its way.

Valete