Chaos and the meaning of Gorm

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 22:20:35 +1200

Dominic McNamara:

> The problem as i see it is that chaos' use of illumination will
>ultimately destroy cultural variability, even though it initially seems
>to be offering this; in the long run of history glorantha will be
>swallowed back into the primordial chaos slime.

Chaos _uses_ Illumination? The only chaotic school of illumination that I'm aware of is Razalkark's. Beyond this there is hardly any systematic theory of Illumination among any chaotics in glorantha. Even Razalkark's school will cease to exist after he gets his comeuppance by Oddi the Keen a few years hence.

IMO most chaotic illuminates are considered *insane* to their nonilluminated  brethen (Consider Jim Chapin's version of the Wild Healer posted recently). Furthermore their hold on reality is so fragile that I find the possibility of the destruction of the world at their hands to be remote (Why should I want to destroy the world? It doesn't exist! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!).

MOB:

>P.S. What does "gormless" actually mean [other than 'without gorm']?

According to the New Shorter Oxford, Gorm is actually the Medieval English _Gome_ which means 'heed, notice'. Thus someone who is gormless is 'slow-witted, stupid, lacking-sense'.

Incidentally the Irish also know Gorm which means a fool or a stupid lout. This usage is believed to come from a different word.

Thus it is entirely possible to be a Gormless Gorm.