Illumination

From: Matthew Bull <Matt_Bull_at_msn.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 96 20:04:56 UT

Re D M McNamara's question on Illumination. Although this is not particularly an answer, it is the view I have taken on this and surrounding topics in my latest campaign, the first to address the subject of Illumination.

Guilt
- -------
Every member of a cult is forced to live by the limitations of their God, yet even a God cannot watch all their mortal worshippers. So they don't bother, instead they read the conscience of their faithful.

The way this works is the access a worshipper gives his to his God during POW sacrifice, access to his soul. During worship a God will scan the souls
(whatever you care to call it) of those present and searches for signs of
guilt.

A prime example of this is tribute to Chalana Arroy, for healing. Most players, particularly the richer ones, will try various scams to aviod paying their dues to a Healer who has saved their life (the ungrateful £%&*) and although these schemes do avoid the "letter of the law" my opinion has always been that deep down the person knows they have cheated and it is this that a God will pick up on.

And Illumination

- -----------------------

Illumination is a magical removal of this conscience. Hence the immunity to spirits of reprisal and ability to join opposing cults (you know it's wrong but your God never senses it).
Similarly Detect Law/Chaos normally works on the subjects "inbuilt" knowledge of which they are. But an illuminated subject is aware that he is neither.

The Dark Side

The sense of right and wrong is built by society to 'protect' itself. Whenever a person realizes they are above such things they become very dangerous. Illuninated beings have the ability to be above the restrictions of society and their choice of wether or not to do such is the difference between Nysalor and Gbaji.
A Nysalor understands that right and wrong are ideas but accepts that society needs such limitors. They will tend to conform as the 'right' thing to do, however they are also free to transgress these laws for the sake of the greater 'good' ('right' and 'good' in this case are different for each individual, for a Broo it could be considered 'right' and 'good' to deficate on objects of value).
A Gbaji understands that all these rights and wrongs are mearly ideas and so they choose to ignore them. Such people are dangerous to society.

Knowledge Or Magical Ability

Well actually it's both. I tend to read Glorantha as a place where knowledge
(and training) can be considered to be almost tangable, to those who
understand how to manipulate it and therefore is, in a sense, a form of magic. Most mortals only aquire knowledge through training and practice but it can just as easily 'given' or 'taken away' by a being with the ability to control knowledge (almost in the way us mortals control money). Hence Illumination is a knowledge which virtually no one knows how to impart through training or practice but many mortals have learnt to instantly impart (in the form of riddles), but still just knowledge.

Well if any of my players have read this they will have a big one up next time they try to swindle a Chalana Arroy :-)

Matty