C'thulhu myhtos roll...

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 10:49:45 -0500

        I will now attempt to make my C'Thulhu myhtos roll...

> 1. Can great cthulhu whip 'the mother of all monsters' (elder secrets)
> butt in a fisticuffs combat (in pamaltela)

        It would be a draw, as a fair portion of Pamaltela would sink beneath the waves. The Loser: Pamaltela.

> 2. If the Crimson Bat and great cthulhu bumped into each other while
> checking out the hero plane, and decided to have a tentacle wrestling
> contest, who would win?

        The bat would win, it carries favorable terrain with it wherever it goes; the Glowspot.

> 3. Carl stanford (of 'hermetic order of silver twilight fame') and ZZabur
> think it would be fun to summon the most gruesome thing that they can
> think of. Who would summon the most hideous thing imaginable?

        Sorry, but I don't know who Carl Stanford is; I presume that both parties ended up summoning Groo?

> 4. Does anyone remember 'snake pipe hollow?' Could 'the man from DOOM'
> clear it out by himself? Surely the blue ghost is tougher than any wussy old
> cyberdemon.
> We thought the man from DOOM was invinvible (particularly if you put
> him on 'god' mode!).

        You are correct, 'the man from DOOM' is invincible. But, unfortunately  for Sandy, the 'man from Chaos(ium)' is more invincible. Alas! gregged again!

> 5. Has zzabur read the necronomicon? (or indeed, is he abdul alhazred?)

        Abdul Al'hazred is a Dream Zzabur.

> 6. If Tsathoggua went on a heroquest, what would he do?
> We reckoned he would create a new myth cycle which would allow him to
> get a strong cup of coffee and stay awake more often.

        If Tsathoggua stayed awake more often, he would probably lead the Hrolri to victory over Kalikos Icebreaker (or is that C'thuggua?).

> 7. BIG Gorp vs. Shoggoth.
> What happens? Do they mutually combine?

        Surely you know by now what happens when you run into your doeppelganger?

Lunar pillaging:

> ....and did not encourage irresponsible hero-questers to
> pillage the god plane, risking disasters as great as those brought on by
> the God-Learners.

        The Lunars are a Thelayan culture; they think of the GodPlane as the home of their gods. They think of heroquests as a way to draw closer to/become more like their gods.

        The western/sorcerous approach views tends to view the GodPlane as a place to be pillaged for all sorts of goodies; provided you can get around the whopping big spirits that live there.

        The mistake of the GLs (as much as I understand it), was to indescrimanately  raid the GodPlane, without consideration for the consequences of their actions. They changed things, stole items, etc, and produced tensions  in the GodPlane that they didn't understand. Eventually, there was a backlash, and the GLs were wiped out. All of this resulted in a change in the nature of the GodPlane, and the GL secret no longer functions....

Arkat/Nysalor

        Arkat won, and eventually retired to "Arkat's Stars" (three of them!) The GLs destroyed the HeroQuest path that led to them quite intentionally; they din't want him to return.

Slavery

>> Also, the economy (i assume) is a slave mode of
>>production, therefore operates off the everyday misery and humiliation of
>>those that have been captured through slave raiding and warfare.

> No, I just simply reject this line of reasoning - I think you are
>far too hung up on the slavery aspect, IMHO a relatively minor part of the >Empires economy.

        I agree. The Dara Happans have been around since before the Dawn, any slaves they keep aren't producing internal decay.

                Andrew

PS Glorantha-Con IV, January 24th-26th 1997, Ramada Hotel O'Hare (Chicago)

    This message brought to you by Orlanth-Cola, a real Windy City drink!