Seattle Mini-Con

From: Neil Robinson <nrobinso_at_direct.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 14:15:36 -0700

Hi,

I've just returned from an extremely successful mini-con in Seattle, WA
(that's in the little country below Canada known as the United States.) I
must admit it was a roaring success. Last year, I was the only non-local to attend, but this year I was joined by fellow Victorian Rich Fenner, British immigrant and oral combat expert Martin Laurie, and Portlander Brad Furst. Even Oliver Jovanovic, a New Yorker, made a most impressive appearance to discuss the future of RuneQuest.

It was the second sacred pilgrimage, and built on the successes of the first. Orlanthi and Lunar lawspeakers debated under a banner of truce. A great feast was held, where friends renewed acquaintances and new friendships were founded over a mug of David Dunham's wonderful brew.

We managed to hold four games, two of them being LARPs. In keeping with Seattle tradition, the strong farmer influence was retained. Here's a brief synopsis:

  1. FarmerQuest. An Orlanthi LARP written and run by Jeff Richard, it saw a small pre-Sartar clan go through the elections of a new Godi and Ernalda Priestess, attempt to deal (unsuccessfully) with a few outstanding feuds, and even unite to attack the neighbouring clan. There was great tragedy too, as Kogull the fierce managed to singlehandly devastate the Vargast family, killing son, father, and another son or two before falling before a vengeful grandson. It was an excellent example of why the Orlanthi never seem to get along unless faced with a common foe, and not always then either.
  2. The Tarsh War. Chris Gidlow's 12 player LARP was run by Pam Carlson (ablely assisted by yours truly), and saw the incredible efficiency of the Lunar military in action. Tarshite, Dara Happan, Priestess, Prince and Merchant all acted as single mind to bring peace and Lunar illumination to southern Tarsh. All hail the Red Goddess!
  3. Rune Metal Jacket. I forced a small group to undergo another Australian experience, MOB's Rune Metal Jacket. Martin Laurie managed to effortlessly mimic a Red Vadeli.
  4. Daxdarius David Dunham is the local Gloranthan explorer. He led us back into the Great Darkness where we played Pelorians living before Alkoth had a wall. I'd say more, but it is game to be experienced firsthand. With luck, it will be featured at Glorantha-Con V in Victoria (July 25-27 1997 - start making plans).

If you are considering having a local mini-con in your area I would highly recommend it. We all left with plans for new LARPs and new relavations into Glorantha. Oh, I even have a better understanding of Onslaught's bite attack (which is obviously too low).

I'll like to thank the Seattlites for hosting us, especially Pam Carlson, who gave her house for two days while we transformed it into an Orlanthi Stead, a Clay Hut, and a battlefield or two. Even Tomoe, Kato, and Rosie
(her dogs) managed to get into the act.

Praise Yelm, All Hail the Red Goddess, and may Orlanth's breath watch over your stead.

Neil

Neil Robinson            I realize I hold the key to freedom
nrobinso_at_Direct.CA       I cannot let my life be ruled by threads
Victoria, BC Canada             - Marillion, "The Web"