Waertagi Dragon Ships

From: Lewis Jardine <JARDINE_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 10:18:08 +0100 (BST)

Hi All

        Waertagi Dragon Ships, Yes, Yes, Yes, IMHO!

All we need to do now is start adding touches from water world. Ideas such as harpoon pistol using elastic fishgut to propel the dart. Favoured tactics:-

Not dropping sail in combat (as is traditional) but slicing through the opposing fleet shearing their oars! This is a risky manouver as a grapple in the sail will stop and disorganize the Dragon Ship. I would suspect that the flexible mounting at the bottom of the mast could be quickly separated and the mast & sail jetisoned. This tactic would be used to break up the battle lines of a numerically superior fleet. Once ships are half crippled they are easy for the Waertagi to pick of individually.

Sailing two Ships fast towards the opposition with a rope stretched between them. Normally this will be a series of very line gut lines held on poles. When one of these hits an enemy crewmember they will be severely injured or even decapitated. The poles are used to avoid losing lines on prows, spears, rails etc. and to select the *right* targets (captains, helmsmen...).

Now I know the tactics above are a bit Hollywoodish but I love the idea of the Waertagi screaming towards their targets, dangling off the rigging and using wierd gadgets.

Cheers

        lewis