closing, Vadeli

From: Durupt Jean <durupt_at_cc.ec-lyon.fr>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:06:40 1997

 Hi all,

After usurping his job, I'll dare to argue with Joerg.

closing effects

Some closed bodies of water were cleaned by the Closing, some received debris. Sog's harbour was chocked by debris for example.

The second effect of the Closing (navigation is forbidden) takes place at around 2 km from the coast. (Glorantha: Genertela)

What is the effect on the fauna?

There is a species of sea turtle called in French tortue-luth
(luth turtel?) that is interesting to describe.
The female lay their eggs on beaches, so that they are heated by the sun. When the youngs hatch they scramble toward the sea. This species swimm farther than 2 km of the coast. They feed from jelly fish. Since they confuse plastic bag for jelly fish, many die because their digestive track is blocked by the plastic. They are air breather, so they have to breath on the surface from time to time.

I think that the gloranthan species (a) exist and (b) has the same life than the earth one (minus the plastic bags). Something born on the coast can go to the high seas, without being affected by the closing. A creature can land and go back to the high sea without using Dormal's magic. Let's face it, turtles are not known for their intelligence.
We can say that any swimming creature is immune to the Closing. I'd say that any flying creature is immune too.

Mermen empires.

Imagine a ludoch beaching Wenelia, and asking why Ralios has few contacts with Fronela. He could even say that by a difficult heroquest, a human can go to the sky and then land somewhere on Glorantha. The answer to his question is that mountains are difficult to travel through, and that there is only one pass where someone can cross the mountain, High Llama Pass. For him, the equivalent obstacle is called a doom current. No doubt, ther exists slowing, where the current is weaker and thus may be crossed. The slowing between Teleos and Pamaltela may even be called Blue Shark Slowing. No doubt that a ludoch clan heavily taxes any who want to cross <g>. I liked the vertical travel.

Floating debris

On earth oceans, debris can be carried away by the sea farther than 2 km.
If it is not possible on Glorantha, a crust is sure to exist at around 2 km from the coast. Think about it, 5 centuries of debris, whale corpses, jelly fish and uprooted trees that cannot leave the coast.

The problem is to discern what is a floating debris and thus immune to the closing and what is a boat affected by the curse.

Can the mermen tug a whale corpse toward the high sea, if they killed it less than 2 km from the coast? I'd say yes.

Vadeli

We know that any Vadeli is a potent magician.

Any Vadeli species can survive on its own, that means that each Vadeli can take a decision, can fight, can craft and can deal. But not all the Vadeli colours are equally proficients in these fields.
Sandy's tabboos for them work fine for me. The God Learners found the correspondance between the elements and some weapons. It is not because it was them who said it, that it is false.

Why do the brown Vadeli not use elemental weapons? For the same reason that a Dromali does not fight. All of those who did so aged and died. It is equally unfortunate for a Brithini and a Vadeli to die.

MOB
Your idea about leading by comittee is fine. It is possible that only a blue Vadeli can lead a squadron, and that the red Vadeli fleet was led by comitee at Oenricko' Rock (sp?).

Nils about Haragala
Let's not forget that the Vadeli are immortal. They have the luxury of patience.
At first Haragala will be wary of them, but they are nice and friendly. With time prejudice can fall.
One tactic they can use, is to have trade outpost with Vormain and the East Isles.
It would be good if those two powers would like to fight bloody naval battles, with the blue around it is possible. It is important that the Vorumaini are prevented from landing. After some times, piracy will increase, since both fleets are exhausted and can no longer hunt the pirates. The nice Vadeli will have a deal. Another naval nation owes them a great favour, they will clear the seas from pirates (those that are not red vadeli anyway), and later from the Haragalan and Vorumaini fleet (they hid that fact).
Next they backstab their ally, and they teach on object lesson on what happens when someone want to have trading or war ships
(something very nasty, maybe public torture of each nation admiral
and wealthiest merchant).
It might take 2 centuries, but they can wait.

	Peace
		Jean