Arkat, & stuff

From: owner-glorantha_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 07:46:52 -0500

David Dunham
>Because Arkat wasn't a selfish hero. He didn't get his hero powers so he
>personally could become more powerful, but for a reason that was supposed
>to help everyone.

Steven E. Barnes
>To put a different spin on my earlier remarks: Arkat is remembered
>for the deeds he performed. The actual power and knowledge he obtained
>on his quests was not shared with "his people".

> ....and that heroes who aquire personal power are inferior because
> they are "selfish.

        Arkat shared many benefits with his followers, it just doesn't always look that way because Arkat left many of his groups of followers behind and gained new ones. Just as an example, Arkat gave sorcery to the trolls. What would the Brithini know or care about this? Didn't he bring Humakt out of Ralios and into Dragon Pass with him? Also, don't forget that many of Arkat's closest/loyalest followers were killed in Dorastor during the final battles...

        Heroes who are selfish are not necessarily inferior, but they are certainly less likely to be remembered. Who are you going to tell stories about to your children; the hero who killed monsters and acquired vast treasures for himself, or the hero who saved his people from destruction?

        Ummm, what about the Sable Tribe? They didn't have much trouble joining up with their old cousins, the Antelope Lancers.

> Loren's ideas on Carmanian mercantile amibitions may also play a big part.

        Wasn't there also supposed to be a lot of support from the Blue Moon and Yolp Mountain trolls, who wanted to open up contact with Dagori Inkarth?

Andrew Joelson				joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com        -+-
AKA  Rupert von Harl, Seven Mothers/Yanafal Tarnils and Humakt		    |
"Contradiction?  No, I always did tend to kill chaos creatures anyway."     /

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #595