More o' the Kanth

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 13:06:21 +0100

Interesting stuff on the walking tapirs. Especially that story by P. Metcalfe.

One thing: I doubt many true people are turned into herdmen by the Morokanth. I know the rules aint the best representation of Gloranthan reality, but it's sure that Fix Intelligence, the magic of Waha, is costly to the one who uses it. It's not a thing undertaken lightly, and if I were a Morokanth Khan (they act as priests, or does my memory fail me?) I wouldn't want to toss away one third of my soul-power just to herdify three relatives of a slave, unless the slave was VERY valuable (knew how to forge iron, or something like that).
I'm so cynical that I think the Morokanth would simply threaten to eat the humans with their intelligence intact. I actually don't think that Morocanth DO eat normal people very often, since it may be considered breaking Waha's Covenant (with nasty esoteric reprisals as a result). However, many people may not know that, or they may not want to take the risk that this particular Morokanth doesn't care.

And, oh, I consider Praxian to have dialects for each of the tribes, and of course the Morokanth have a large amount of Darktongue loanwords

Speaking of Storm Bulls: Some vague evidence suggests that the "Bull" in Storm Bull is associated with the males of the tribal beasts among the Praxians. Wonder if this is true of the Morokanth as well. A raging herdman might be dangerous - it may be unintelligent, but it's far more cunning than most other beasts. Just like their relatives the chimps and the gorillas, I bet they are nasty (though I would prefer to meet a mean herdman to meet a mean rhino).

Erik Sieurin, who always gets reminded of "The Planet of The Apes", when herdmen are the issue.