Re: Industrial Revolution

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 96 21:50:39 -0500

Ian Gorlick
>I have another problem with your vision of the waertagi relying so
much on
>undines for propulsion. I agree that an undine makes a great
engine. If one >were to take one of your undine propulsion systems, like the hollow cylindrical >keel you proposed, and point it at a water-wheel then the industrial revolution >just started.

        Pshaw. And pshaw again. For two reasons: first off, using an undine to run a water wheel can be done by _anyone_ in Glorantha. Secondly, the Roman Empire had waterwheels. They've been around for millenia. I fail to see why this begins any sort of industrial revolution. IMO, Glorantha has already had a Magic Revolution of equal import, if not greater.

        Undines & waterwheels. Why not just use the river to push your wheel. An undine won't do the job any better. If you live in a desert, an undine might come in handy for your waterwheel, but since an undine can evaporate, you'll have to bring in refills periodically. Probably folks who need grinding mills in waterless regions use windmills and sylphs instead.

Sandy P.