Re: mermen; illumination; Arkat

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 13:02:29 -0700

I like Jean Durupt's idea of mermen using underwater wagons. He also writes

> Fixed underwater dwelling might be used by air breathing mermen,
> but I lack ideas on how they transform stale air into fresh air.

Plants, I'm sure, since they convert carbon dioxide to oxygen.

Chris Pearce wrote

> Would-be illuminates re-enact the initial
> journey taken by the first illuminate (Nysalor?).

Yelm became illuminated in Hell, so he probably qualifies as the first Illuminate.

David Ingram wrote

> According to CoT (there may be newer sources but I am not that widely
> read) Arkat acended to the hero plane after his victory.

He ruled Ralios for 75 years, according to Cults of Terror.

As I recall, the God Learners destroyed the Cult of Arkat because it was in their way; one of its main missions was to protect the HeroQuest paths, and the God Learners didn't want them protected.

BTW, some of the Rise of Ralios info that was posted makes reference to the fact that the East Ralians have never forgiven Arkat, and use his name as a swear word (instead of yelling, "God damn!" when you stub your toe, you shout, "Arkat!").

Neil Smith wrote about Praxian butchery rituals. I'll bet, on the mundane level, they cut up the animal on its back, using its skin to catch everything, much as modern Mongols butcher sheep.