Elemental Weapons

From: Arkat_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 10:06:38 -0400

Greetings fellow Gloranthaphiles!

My name is John Brown and I've been playing Runequest II for approximately 14 years when I was a sophomore in high school. Our gaming group has been playing in the same campaign (with a year or two break here and there) during that time during which a couple of us (including myself) have played the same character.

During that time, my character has undergone some major changes and has grown quite significantly from the hack and slash adventurer he was at the beginning of his career. I won't take up too much space with a description of his exploits but I will say that in our campaign, my character recovered the Windsword from Griffin Mountain several years ago and now would like to start up a Spirit Cult whose purpose is to worship the Windsword and destroy Chaos.

I know that sounds pretty much like a hack and slash kind of thing to do but check out what I've had to do so far. First I had to establish a clan of potential worshippers in the Elder Wilds which means I can no longer run around and adventure like a normal Windlord. I've got responsibilities to fulfill now that keep me in one place pretty much. I must also be more diplomatic in my situation because now I am the ruler of my own sovereign lands and must deal with the folks in Balazar and the folks in Garsting to. Dealing with the Trolls and Elves in the Elder Wilds is no treat either and I can no longer just enforce my will on a few poor schlepps like I could when I was just an adventurer. Now I actually have to deal with folks on a much larger scale. Our game is now much more about the interplay of various Gloranthan societies than it is about a few individuals. I find the game to be much more rewarding now.

My question to you folks is: Has anyone else out there started a Cult of the Windsword out there? I have written mine up for the most part but I would like to see some other folks' ideas so that I could maybe flesh mine out or gain some insight on what else it should be about.

My other question is this: In Griffin Mountain, there is a mention of five elemental weapons having been created to battle chaos. Has anyone besides me decided what they are and what their histories might be? If you have, send me what you've found or decided and I'll send you what I have on the five elemental weapons. If anyone else is interested in hearing my histories, just say so and I'll post them here on the digest.

Thanks a lot.

John B. Brown, Jr.
Arkat_at_aol.com

P.S. also if the five elemantal weapons in your game exist, do they have their own cults as well? which ones? what are they like? send writeups?