Praxian ownership rules

From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_erols.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 21:31:55 -0400 (EDT)

Pam writes:
>In Praxian tribes, don't the men own the male animals?

I don't believe so. The women own the clan's animals. Men own the animals they've captured from other tribes, which are NOT tribal animals (dunno what happens with "recaptured" tribal animals). As it's the non-tribal animals that get eaten, men tend not to own animals all the time, or breed them.

>Might Praxian
>clans be lead by the older women in most matters - excpet where war is
>concerned? It's easy to see how outsiders might assume that the Khans run
>the show...

I'm sure it's more complex than "men are the leaders" or "women are the leaders." In the Sable and Morokanth tribes, people _acknowledge_ that the leaders are the women: the rani (queens). Certainly, the women are expected to know where to go to find pasturage, but the men then decide if it's safe militarily. If the men and women disagree, sometimes the men win and sometimes the women. It depends in part on personalities and largely on politics, including sexual politics.