Cthulhu and Glorantha

From: Mmohrfield_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 23:24:58 -0400

D. McNamara asks
">After all, in Dorastor there is the suggestion that a hunting
horror, for >example, could be flapping about the land of doom. (but is it a chaos demon >that coincidentally resembles a hunting horror, or a real-live objective >hunting horror?)" and Sandy Petersen answers
 "It's a real-life hunting horror of course -- a prime characteristic of Cthulhu monsters is that they can travel between dimensions. Why not to Glorantha?"
I have to disagree with Sandy here. I think that there are some worlds for which crossovers would work, but Glorantha isn't one of them. Glorantha has a unique flavor and I think that having interdimensional travellers waltzing through it would spoil that flavor. For example, I can imagine adventurers from Moorcock's Young Kingdoms travelling to Lovecraft's Dreamlands without ruining the flavor of either setting, but I cannot imagine Cthulhu showing up in Tolkien's Middle Earth.
                                                            Mark Mohrfield

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #612