Darkness over Frankfurt

From: Tom Zunder <Troll_at_nochet.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 08:07:51 GMT

German RQ Con 7, Schloss Stahlek, Bacharach, 23-27 May 1996

Field Report of Market Opportunities, as beaten on the drums by N’Uz Krang, field agent of the Blue Moon, Guhan.

Posing as my alter ego Tom Zunder I flew to Germany and was immediately attacked by the curse of the Chengster, who had missed his plane. With the lunar missionaries Brooke and Hall we passed the time and then travelled in small ham beetles from Frankfurt to the wonderful castle at Bacharach. Sadly the beetle carrying Hall and I was befuddled and it was almost midnight when we arrived. Having missed much of the night, we threw ourselves into enjoying the remains and slumped out at some ungodly hour in our dormitory beds. Pausing only to be almost killed for snoring, I placed on my smoked lead glasses, put up my lead umbrella and headed out under Yelm’s harsh glare to greet the Saturday.

Disorder Boggles ran rampant, and yet it was pleasant to sit overlooking the beautiful Rhine, a river almost as enchanting as the Oslir in breadth and serenity. The banks of the valley through which it flowed with luxurious salad stuff, and would probably have yielded an Aldryami or two if I’d had time to hunt. Still, I was hear to learn of trade and spent the day playing and selling Mythos cards, and playing a runic dice game; Rune Duels, invented by a fellow Uz, Hans van Halteren. (aka Kurzum Aragat). This dice based duelling game, whilst obviously a toy of the God Learner Heresy, is most enjoyable to play and I would commend all to contact the author and pester him for playtests of promises of a game at conventions.

That night, once the sun had set and I had the comfort of darkness, I played
“Into the Dark Continent”. This is a storytelling card game not dissimilar to
“Once Upon A Time” and set in the heyday of that mythical entity, the British
Empire. It was cracking good fun, and yet by half past four in the morning, Hall, Meints and myself were completely stark staring mad, and the game had shifted from derring do to surrealistic farce and demonism. It was time for bed. I did not snore. Good.

Sunday, the day of the live freeform, the Rise of Ralios. I was shattered. It is a strain for me to operate in daylight as it is, and so after eating the small white beetles provided for breakfast, I headed back to sleep until 1pm. Then, fresh and happily flatulent I joined my fellow UZ. We of Guhan and Halikiv spoke many strange tongues and did dabble in much magic, religion and trading. I purchased and sold many goods, and yet the great epic events of the day far outweighed the opening of the Trollz R Uz franchise in Kustria. As you know, I am under strict orders not to reveal the outcomes of the simulation, since the Spoken Word must not know the outcome, suffice to say the lunes will bring it with haste to the Plateau. I enjoyed my part greatly, and much appreciated the Orlanthi as they painted each new convert in woad. I feel my fellow UZ made great efforts, dressed as they were in black leather trenchcoats and carrying hammers. It was a day when the Boggles struck later on, but for many it was an epic and valiant game which I would happily play again and see the difference. (By the way, keep Nick Brooke off the HeroPlane...)

That was that, only a few more surrealist games of “Speed Continent”, don’t ask, and back off to home. A great expedition, perhaps in need of better overall control, but one to remember with great fondness. It was a pleasure to meet so many good Gloranthan friends and to offer to buy their children!