Cult of the Windsword

From: Jesper Wahrner <jewahr_at_hts.calypso.net>
Date: 01 Jun 96 19:59:28 +0100

 John Brown:

> my character recovered the Windsword from Griffin Mountain several years
> ago and now would like to start up a Spirit Cult whose purpose is to
> worship the Windsword and destroy Chaos.

 I have actually not played Griffin Mountain since when I came aboard about  the same time as RQIII everyone had already played it. Is the sword  sapient? Can it really be worshipped in itself? To me it sounds like  what you really are trying to do is starting a Hero-cult, either of  whoever that sword is associated with in the local myths to begin with,  or maybe even of yourself if no local hero fits the description.

> Our game is now much more about the interplay of various Gloranthan
> societies than it is about a few individuals. I find the game to be
> much more rewarding now.

 Sounds like fun. Actually, carving out a leading place in society and  roleplay a political character has nothing to do with Hack and Slash,  and should not be apologized for. Well, I wouldn't apologize for  playing Hack and Slash either if I found that fun. (I don't.)

> My question to you folks is: Has anyone else out there started a Cult
> of the Windsword out there? I have written mine up for the most part
> but I would like to see some other folks' ideas so that I could maybe
> flesh mine out or gain some insight on what else it should be about.

 I obviously don't have a Windsword cult, but this is how I would treat  similar ventures in my campaign: First decide whether you are trying  to revive an old cult or if you are trying to carve out something  entirely new.

 If you are trying for the old cult find out everything  you can about it. Once you know everything needed to recreate the myth  the cult is based on it's heroquest time. Collect your followers and  spiritual support (remember that clan you collected) and walk the path  of the hero whose cult you're trying to recreate. If successful you  should have reestablished that cult. If unsuccessful you may well have  strengthened the influence of chaos in the area. What you tell  about the cult is that it is one with an anti-chaospurpose. This is  probably reflected in the quest which surely involves battle against  chaos. If the chaos wins this will be reflected in the mundane world  in some way.

 If you're trying to create a new cult you need to do the entire hero  stuff to establish yourself as a hero. A single HQ is probably not  enough (although it might be). You will probably have more say over  the exact nature of the religion, but establishing the religion will  be the focus of the campaign, when what you wanted to do was to play  a religious and political leader.

 The cult then. Since you wanted the sword to be central, it is probably  needed for keeping contact with the hero. No sword - no cult, which  probably is the reason why the cult died out in the first place. When  designing the magic benefits of the cult be careful. Cults like this  shouldn't teach more than a single spell. Additional benefits might be  that for as long as the seasonal worshipceremonies is being held with  enough initiates the infuence of chaos in the area is weakened. The  drawback might be that if for some reason the cult fails to hold the  ceremonies, chaos may find another way into cosmos. Don't lose that  sword...

 Just my opinions,
 Jesper