Elemental Weapons

From: Arkat_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 01:18:00 -0400

Peter Metcalf

Pete sez:

>Humakt is the Elemental Weapon Cult for Storm AFAIK. What the Others
>are is less clear. Lodril is known as the Spear God, but this aspect
>of him is often suppressed as Peasants carrying Spears is considered
>Revolutionary and a Bad Thing. The Bow God is supposedly a subcult
>of Yelm and the Axe Goddess is known as Babeester Gor in Esrolia. I
>don't have the foggiest who the Maul God or the Flail God are (most
>probably some long forgotten gods listed in Zzabur's Blue Book).

Pete,

In Griffin Mountain (not Griffin Island) in the description of the "Chamber of the Sword" in the mountain, it is made quite clear that the elemental weapon of the Air is the Windsword. It also explicitly states that there were a total of five elemental weapons (one for each element) created to battle Chaos.

With that in mind, here is my idea of how the creation of the five elemental weapons went:

                                             The Elemental Weapons

Darkness:	Nakala's Mace (The Black Mace) which was made of Lead
Water:		Trident of Zaramaka (Magasta's Tongue) which was made of
                                         Aluminum
Earth:		Staff of Ga (The Staff of Law) which was made of Copper
Fire/Sky:   	Aether's Spear (The Firelance) which was made of Gold
Air:		Sword of Umath (The Windsword) which was made of Silver

In order to fight the forces of Chaos that Gbaji the Deceiver commanded, five heroes commissioned weapons to be crafted of the purest rune metals by the finest weaponsmiths of their people. Their quest was to journey to the Celestial Court and convince the Elemental Gods to bestow some of their power on the appropriate weapons. The five heroes were:

Trogar Bonebreaker the Troll who was from Dagori Inkarth Vartax Three-Arm the Sailor who was from the God Forgot Isles Valeria the Fertile who was from Esrolia Fingolius Sunwatcher who was from Dara Happa Hender Stormsearcher who was from the Storm Mountains

These heroes, great in power, were brought together by Arkat the Liberator in Dragon Pass after he freed that land in 440 S.T. After a great ceremony, they found themselves in the timeless realm of the Gods. The home of the Celestial Court, the Spike, was visible in the distance. As they approached, they saw the forces of Chaos attacking the Spike. At the base of the mountain, five separate paths up the mountain appeared before them. Each chose their own path in hopes of reaching the top and visiting the Celestial Court. On the long climb to the top, each hero faced many dangers and forced their way through the armies of Wakboth which besieged the mountain. Each hero suffered wounds during their trials on the Spike but each survived and reached the pinnacle.
After Valeria had healed them, they approached the gate to the Perfect Palace. The Guardian asked why they were here and why they were worthy to gain audience with the Celestial Court. Each recounted the dangers overcome on the climb to the top of the mountain and expressed their desire for aid against Chaos. Impressed, the Guardian bade them to enter. The Elementals of the Celestial Court asked how they could help the heroes. The heroes presented their weapons to the Elementals and beseeched them to empower the weapons with whatever aid they could give in the fight against the forces of Chaos.
The Elementals were willing to help but not without getting something in return. The Elementals agreed to imbue the weapons with some of their power if the five heroes would agree to battle Wakboth to slow his advance up the Spike. The Elementals needed the delay to erect a new magical barrier between the Chaos-horde and the Perfect Palace.
The heroes, of course, agreed and each of the Elementals placed some power in pieces of their mountain and then bound those pieces into the weapons. The Elementals then placed some of their own essence into each weapon to assure that the weapon would be forever used against Chaos. The five heroes, thanking the Elementals, set off together on a previously invisible sixth path down the Spike.
Soon they encountered Wakboth and four of his personal guards. Valeria did not fight because her staff was made to heal men and the land of the ravages Chaos had wrought. It was made to restore, not to destroy. The other four heroes fought valiantly and killed the Devil's personal guard after an epic struggle. Each suffered severe wounds in the battle but healing by the Earth Mother restored their strength.
Hender, healed first, immediately set upon Wakboth. The Devil was surprised that such a puny creature would attack him and was shocked by the wound that Umath's Sword inflicted on him. Feeling the sting of the spirit that inhabited the sword, he grabbed another sword, placed some of his own being into it, and immediately set upon the Air disciple. The Devil's first strike sundered the Windsword. Hender would have fallen victim to the new Hellsword swiftly if not for his faithful comrades. They wounded Wakboth several times and forced him to retreat for a short time. Hender gathered the pieces of silver that used to be the Sword of Umath and beseeched his God to mend the glorious weapon making it stronger than the hell blade. Hender's God, hearing the prayer, reformed and transmuted the silver sword into an iron one. The heroes, having accomplished their mission, instantly found themselves back in Dragon Pass.
They celebrated their success that night with a huge feast that Arkat had prepared for them. The next morning, after saying their goodbyes, they left for their homelands.
With their new weapons, the heroes united their peoples against the Deceiver and beat his forces back into Dorastor. There, in 450 S.T., Arkat the Destroyer fought, dismembered, and defeated the monstrous Gbaji.

O.K. I realize that the heroes are stereotypical but in myth, heroes usually are that way becasue so many different cultures have the same general ideas in their myths; the belly of the whale, the gift of fire, creation of the world, etc. I also realize that the Arkat-Gbaji fight in the last paragraph may not jibe with the current revisionist history of the event but I had the cosmology in the Cults of Terror (which is fantastic) book to work with as well as one of the books in the Genertela boxed set and I think this series of events suits the myth quite well.

I hoped y'all liked it.