Jokbazi

From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_erols.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 13:11:10 -0400 (EDT)

Nick Effingham writes:
>JOKBAZI
> I was wondering about Jokbazi, he appears in GRoY on the Godswall and is
>the only "lord of the Fifth Hell" mentioned -- the fifth hell being the DH
>equivalent of chaos (or the void, the difference between the two is
>academic). In The Book of Drastic Resolutions a minor cult description is
>given for him, but I don't believe it is quite accurate or encompassing.

Yeah, well, there are good reasons why the stuff in BDR was cut from Lords of Terror. The chaos trickster, for example, showed a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of chaos in Glorantha, and I and some others begged Ken Rolston to take it out. I don't know if Greg had seen it at that point. I cringe whenever I see the Chaos Hunter cult that got left in. It doesn't exist IMG. The Jokbazi write-up, IIRC, is another misapprehension of Gloranthan reality.

>IMO Jokbazi is the DH embodiment of all that chaos is, equivalated to Wakboth,
>Ragnaglar and Kajabor all rolled into one huge chaos deity. Rather than
>distinguishing various forms of chaos they merely clump it together as one
>thing. I don't believe that this is represented in the sources I have. I was
>mainly wondering what other people thought?

Greg has said at various Cons and elsewhere that the Dara Happans don't make a fundamental distinction between the storm gods, darkness, and chaos: they're all manifestations of the same principle of badness. So, no, I don't think Jokbazi is Wakboth et al. wrapped up in one super-chaos deity. Maybe the DH attitude is due to the relative paucity of battles against chaos in Godtime Peloria, or maybe not. There's not that much in GRAoY that smells like chaos: the undead aren't necessarily, and the enemies tend to be human. I can't say I have encyclopedic recall of GRAoY, though, unlike some digesters. Anyone want to post a list of 17 counterexamples to my statement just above?