Molanni, Shargash

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 96 10:41:00 PDT

Molanni

IMO, "Molanni" is a relatively recent (First Age and later), Orlanthi invention to explain (and contact?) Entekos. I doubt the Eastern Orlanthi encountered Entekos before the World Council. And Greg has suggested that the Orlanthi might equate Shargash with Vadrus - a hostile stormgod. Don't they think of Molanni as a daughter of Vadrus?

 (Perhaps the Western Theyalans - those who live north of Dorastor - in Southern Carmania - have a closer picture of Entekos? They engaged in all that pre-dawn raiding of the Wendarians. Maybe they see has as a daughter of Orlanth captured by Yelm?)

DC> This neatly explains why a seemingly Orlanthi religious figure (though a minor one) is encouraged by the Lunars, and has a cult associated with Yelm despite being almost unknown in Yelmic myth.

Sure - convert them all to good little Entekos worshippers. That would help them fit into the empire better, because Entekos is widely worshipped throughout all Peloria, even in the 1600's.

DC> Exaactly what the Dara Happans make of the Orlanthi claims that Yelm and Molanni had a child together is unknown, but it was always a pretty unlikely myth by Dara Happan standards anyway.

Er, yes. I don't think they give much consideration to the ravings of unwashed barbarians.

> I imagine the Dara Happans don't acknowledge the Orlanthi drought deity
Daga, and instead have
some completely different myth about how drought results from Entekos and Yelm (probably her dutifully waiting for his return, or dutifully punishing the people, or some similar such subservient role).

Quite possible. Although drought might not be too big a problem for them - with their empasis on irrigation. (In both FS and GRoY, I can't think of anyone mentioning drought as a problem.) Heck - maybe, in the valleys of DH, Entekos is propriated to keep the amount of rainfall low to avoid flooding. The Oslir is already swollen from all the rains in Northern Dragon Pass, Aggar, and Saird.

Best of luck to your Molanni PC.

Shargash

 DC> Now, Shargash is said to be a crippler of Elmalus. When did this happen?

I think the myths are there, waiting to be developed. Elmal at the Hill of Gold is an excellent opportunity for Shargash to cripple Elmal. Perhaps some of the tribes of Vanch have that story, while Elmal in Dragon Pass was instead helped by Orlanth.
Another possible myth is S "crippling" E is by stealing his firepowers - because now we know the even Elmal is the "cold sun". That would help the Orlanthi account for there being this bastard storm god with fire powers up among those squishy northern sun people.

DC>Perhaps the story of the Second Son of Vingkot, with the Star Heart, might relate to all this
somehow?

Sounds like it would be easy to make it fit. I'll have to look it up. KOS?

> On a related note - the cult writeup that I would most like to see
of all those never done is Shargash. It would be a great cult both for Lunar foes for Orlanthi or for PCs in more pro-Lunar games.

Agreed. We sort of have one in the works, but as we keep learning more about Peloria & Alkoth, it keeps changing. Maybe someday...

One thing is for certain - in _my_ Glorantha, Shargashi often use maces. In the early parts of GRoY, all those victorious DH emperor/heroes used maces and spears. (IMO, swords were then unknown in Peloria.) Now, spears and bows are handy, but sometimes a hero just needs something a bit more powerful. In one of those GRoY stories, Shargash broke his spear on the tough hide of a monster, so he whupped it with his mace. Shargash is also big into drumming, and maces can be analogous to drumsticks. It is also an appropriate weapon for the "God of Strength", who pounded the earth until it broke asunder.

>Subject: Elemental Weapons

Elemental weapons might fit in God Learner territory, but not in Peloria.  Try telling a Shargashi that he's using a Darkness Weapon. Go ahead - I want to watch!

Pam