Re: Scarlet Bat

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 96 13:45:55 -0500

> The Crimson Bat was banished by Arkat during the Gbaji Wars. Does
anyone
>know how he did this, where he banished it to, or where he battled it?

Eric Rowe
>Actually, I believe this was the Scarlet Bat, often confused with the
>Crimson Bat. They lived in different ages.

        If Eric is serious, then this is Gregging par excellence. The Crimson Bat is known to have existed since the original Great Darkness, to have escaped I Fought We Won, and to have plagued central Genertela off and on since then. I know for a fact (personal exchanges) that the red bat-thing banished by Arkat was intended to be the Crimson Bat. If someone at Chaosium has recently created a new bit of history which requires the Crimson Bat to _not_ have existed in earlier times, I can't help but wonder if it might not have been better to try a bit harder to shoehorn in the original material, rather than just discard it.

        I presume Arkat banished his foe to the afterlife (i.e., killed it), whence the Red Goddess brought it back. I suppose it is possible that it was brought back one or more times before then. Note that when the Bat is killed, it can only return via a great ritual. Of course, now that it has a cult _and_ is tied to a goddess of rebirth, it is rather easier to return from the dead.

Sandy P.