Elf Bows [Yeh!],Copper Armour,The Naked Truth

From: Howard Fielding <altfritz_at_icity.kosone.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 15:56:07 -0400

ELF BOWS         Thank you, Ian for the very enlightening research you posted on the true nature of the "Elf Bow"! Great Stuff!!

COPPER ARMOUR         I while back, i posted about "woven" copper-leafed armour used by Wood Lords....David Dunham replied [quite rightly] that weaving was making[ugh]. This gave me cause to ponder...

        Perhaps when i used the term "weaving", i was in error. I now believe that the Armouring Ritual used involves the Senior Gardener and the repient of the New armour to approach the sacred copper-leafed tree
[possibly only on holy days?]. The Gardener begins the ceremony with a
Growing Song [a spell] and the recipient casts [or sacrifices] POW to the tree [the amount of POW possibly effecting the protection afforded by the Armour?]. While singing the Growing Song, the Gardener "manipulates" the branches, leaves or fronds of the tree, "drawing" them out and around the recipients body, interlacing the stems so that a coat similar to scale is created. Part of the effects of the song is to increase the plasticity of the stems/branches to permit such manipulation. The final act is to sever the armour from the parent tree. I suggest that it survives much as Ian's Elf Bow. The armour would be fashioned so that it overlaps over one shoulder...getting dressed requires prying it open and slipping it on [like solid bronze greaves].

THE NAKED TRUTH         David's comment also got me thinking about the nature a Aldryami garb in general. What do they wear? What is it made of? My own inclination/conclusion is that Aldryami do not wear clothes! Why should they! Clothing is just a human-thing after all. And many Human tribes
[Amazonian Tribes or the African Dinka Forex] don't use clothing nor attach
any status or shame to nakedness. It sets the Aldryami apart from their human [the "covered, or hidden, ones"] neighbours again [a good thing] and dispells another tolkienism!!!

        All IMO, of course!

                                        Howard