various matters

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 11:16:30 +1200

Nick Effingham:

>IMO Jokbazi is the DH embodiment of all that chaos is, equivalated to Wakboth,
>Ragnaglar and Kajabor all rolled into one huge chaos deity. Rather than
>distinguishing various forms of chaos they merely clump it together as one
>thing. I don't believe that this is represented in the sources I have. I was
>mainly wondering what other people thought?

To me, Jokbazi was merely a Chaotic Monster who opposed the Emperor and was defeated in the Good Old Days. The Dara Happans don't really have a philosophy of Chaos and the closest they can think of is Kazkurtum.

David Cake:

>Now, Shargash is said to be a crippler of Elmalus. When did this happen?

During the Dominion of Shargash according to the GRAY. After Antirius died, Shargash 'fought on, and sent away Kargzant the Nomad. He stopped the raids of Elmalus, King of the Vingkotlings. And he even...'. This is at the right time for your suggestion of him being knocked of at the Hills of Gold.

[Molanni]

> The goddess of the calm air, Molanni, is only very little mentioned
>in the recent Pelorian myth stuff (about two lines in GRAY), and then she
>is said to be a foreign deity.

She was said to be a foreign diety circa 300 ST. It doesn't mean that she is 'foreign' now. AFAIK Molanni is the main Air Goddess of the Sylilan Sultanate.

> So where does Molanni fit in? Is she originally an Orlanthi
>goddess? If she is, did they ever worship her directly? If she was
>originally an Orlanthi goddess, why is she now linked so strongly with the
>Yelm cult?

Molanni is not an Orlanthi Goddess. She comes from Saird and is the daughter of Vadrus. She was significant enough to be depicted as attending the Emperor's coronation on the Gods Wall. She is viewed as a Traitor by the Orlanthi because she is an air goddess on the _other_ side.

Andrew Raphael:

Me>>I'm thinking that Argrath at the battle of Milrain (in KoS) had
>>a hundred Teshnans (courtesy of Harstar) who knew how to immolate
>>themselves and did so scaring the bejesus out of the Lunars.

>Like that Human Torch comic book superhero? Body of fire and all that?

Sort of. I don't think they can fly for example. For those who would complain that Teshnos should be Indian-like and not superhero comic-book, there exists ample material to be grabbed from classical descriptions of Indian Ascetics who immolated themselves. Arrian mentions one in Alexander's army, I think.

Andrew Joelson:

Me>> <exchange deleted>..Arkat betrayed Chaos and his own basic nature in
>> the final battle IMO.

>Huh? Arkat betrayed Chaos!? That's what he was fighting all along!

Was he? I thought he was fighting Nysalor. I don't recall any chaos in Nysalor's Empire until Arkat shows up.