Elmal's First Stop

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 00:13 MET DST

David Cake mused about Elmal:

> We know what the Yelmalion version of the Hill of Gold quest is
>like. We have a fair idea what the Antirius version is like. But is there
>an Elmali version, and if there is who does he fight? The sequence of
>opponents for a Yelamlian is Orlanth, Zorak Zoran, Inora, chaos
>(bloodsucking chaotic tick things, I think). I think Elmal also fights
>Zorak Zoran (I think Greg said this some time). He presumably also sights
>chaos, and the forces of winter. But who is his first stop? It probably
>isn't Orlanth - after all, the most obvious difference between Elmal and
>Yelmalio is that Elmal is a loyal thane.

AFAIK the Elmal myth, Orlanth and Elmal (aka Robin and Little John) met on a bridge (or tree-trunk) across a roaring river, with Elmal ending up swept away by the waters and rescued by Orlanth. He becomes the thane of Orlanth afterwards.

This is quite similar to the Yelmalio quest, only that Yelmalio denies the bid for friendship, IMO. The rather friendly (at least in the outcome) encounter between Elmal and Orlanth shortens Elmal's HoG Quest. Rather than combat Orlanth and lose his armour, I suppose Elmal goes to Orlanth's (empty?) stead and gets armed.

>So possibly Elmali who attempt the
>Hill of Gold get to fight Shargash as their first combat (who, if things go
>according to Shargashi mythical plan, probably cripples them, making it
>easier for the Zorak Zorani to eat their liver). The major point against it
>is that Shargash seems virtually unknown to Orlanthi myth (odd, as Shargash
>must have been the Dara Happan god they fought most often).

I suppose that Shargash is seen as the "Yelm" the Orlanthi understand, the warrior open for taunts, challenges, and displays of strength and skill.

I don't think that Shargash was heavily involved in the HoG matter - for one thing, Antirius had him chained in his city. When he was released at last, I don't know whether HoG still stood, or was important.

> Alternatively, there is some completely different myth of Elmal
>fighting Shargash, but I have no idea what it is. Perhaps the story of the
>Second Son of Vingkot, with the Star Heart, might relate to all this
>somehow?

I suppose that there will be a fairly standard Orlanthi migration myth, with the VIngkotling tribe led by Elmal thwarted on their way north by Shargash's tribe. Probably including the loss of a prize breeding bull, ram, or whatever.

>PS I guess all this is of pretty marginal interest to Gloranthan
>reactionaries who don't acknowledge Elmal. Well, you miss out on lots of
>interesting stuff.

Seconded, thirded, etc.