Chaos is Peloria

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 13:10:00 +0800

>Maybe the DH attitude is due to the relative paucity of battles against
>chaos in Godtime Peloria, or maybe not.

        This question has just come up in private discussion between myself and Peter Metcalfe (well, and David Dunham, but he is more of an observer on this particular question) - the question that started it being basically was Kazkurtum a being or a metaphor.

        I think I agree with your comment with one small change - that should be Godtime Dara Happa, not Peloria in general. A chaos horde certainly rampages through Peloria during the Godtime. It is mentioned in the Entekosiad, in the description of troll battles against Chaos in the Entekosiad, and elsewhere. It think it comes down from the glaciers, rampages across Peloria, down the Western side of Dara Happa (but missing Dara Happa proper, no doubt because it is snuggly encased in the Roof of Manarlavus), and then takes a sharp left, cuts its way through the mountains around Torg, and heads towards the Wastes (where it is opposed by Genert, etc.). Or (trying desperately to remember the details of the map I looked at only last night) it may be that it splits in two somewhere around Carmania, and half heads that way and the other way heads towards the West. Eventually the horde is said (in the Entekosiad) to end up in a vast hole somewhere far to the West, but Valare Addi (the 'author' of the Entekosiad) identifies it with the same horde that heads through Tork.

        The head of the Horde is said (in the Entekosiad) to be Voragat, who looks like two (male) people stuck together, more or less. Which brings me to another theory - perhaps Voragat has something to do with the ancestry of Skanth and Skath? I have another theory on their origin as well, but I can't recall the details at the moment.

>David Cake asks whether Elmal had a Hill of Gold thing like Antirius and
>Yelmalio. I do not think so. Zorak Zoran must have taken his fire powers
>somewhere else.

        I think Greg was asked at the Lore Auction at RQ CON DU 'who does Elmal fight at the Hill of Gold?' and the answer was 'Zorak Zoran'. Does anyone else remember this?

        (if I recall correctly I fully expect to be found guilty of premeditated first degree gregging.)

        Cheers