Re: transferring POW

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 11:57:00 -0500

>an initiate can ecologically produce the effect of a one-use spell
by >sacrificing his own POW into an enchantment. If the shaman values the >enchantment as much as the lost POW, you have produced a way to trade initiate >POW for shaman POW.

Kevin Rose
>This would work, assuming that your average initate had a high
enough enchant >skill to make it effective. I wouldn't expect this to be the case. What would >you expect the success rate to be for an average initiate?

        Your average initiate could not and would not do it. It would require an initiate who was more-or-less trained in that kind of thing -- an Enchanter. It also requires a mindset which is quite self-sacrificing and a psychological orientation in which one's own afterlife and spiritual status are a secondary consideration. This is rare amongst the human species. Generally only civilized human lands boast enchanters, and they do so only because the cost of magic items is so high that the enchanters can support themselves at least part-time by doing this.

Anyway, morocanth enchanters are generally drawn from two sources - -- puny or stupid morocanth, or Awakened (and naive) herd men trained for the purpose

Sandy