Balastor's Axe, Elemental weapons

From: David B. Henderson <db.henderson_at_dcs.napier.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 16:24:07 +0100 (BST)

Since I am one of the few people on this list (it sometimes seems) without access to all manner of out-of-print, obscure and unpublished sources (not to mention a direct line to The Great God Greg), I have a stoopid question.

What is so great about Balastor's Axe? What makes it special? What powers does it have?

I liked the stuff on Elemental Weapons by Arkat/John Brown, but I tend to agree with Nils that the Earth weapon should be an axe. Every reference to weapons and elements I have ever seen uses the axe as the earth one.

And, if there are Elemental weapons, why not weapons associated with Powers etc. So, frex, Death has the Sword (for Humakt), but probably every weapon ever invented really, Movement could have the Lance or Bow, Moon has the Scimitar, Disorder the Keg, Beast has Claw, Hoof, Fangs, etc, and so on. If I could remember more Runes, I'd have a stab (har har) at more. Harmony has the Bagpipes(!), Cold the Snowball, Truth the Mirror of Total Reality (as opposed to the Vortex) whereby your insignificance and flawed nature is shown to you (Illuminates are immune!), Illusion has the Tissue of Lies (as used by Trickster), etc.

I'll hang up here, but if the response is positive, i may rack my brain for more exciting Runic Weapons. And I'll definitely ask more dense questions (in the pejorative sense).

David Henderson

BTW: The Henderson Weapon is the Family of Utter Destruction, who will borrow your car, take over your house, annoy your wife, give your children horrible diseases and keep you on the phone for an hour while they tell you what bus they took to get into town. Relentless, unendingly patient, impossible to get rid of, it is The Family!