Arkat the Killer

From: martin <102541.3423_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 05 Jun 96 15:17:46 EDT

Nick Brooke said:
>Greg said something *very* similar the first time I heard him speak, at Games
>Day '85: the Kings of Tanisor turned to the Dark Side in order to resist the
>advance of Arkat's army. As far as I know, this is near to the heart of the
True
>Secret History of the Chaos Wars. Sorry to anyone whose view of Arkat/Gbaji the
>Traitor as a Noble, Selfless Paladin of Truth and Justice is hurt by this.

Paladin? Yuk! Justice? Blaurgh! I personally believe Arkat was into it all for his own ends and it backfired on him. It is said that Sheng Seleris gained power from the deaths of those subjugated by him. The Videli gain power from their cruelties. Harrek gains power through blood, slaughter and mayhem. I think Arkat did the same but unlike Sheng, he had many groups of worship and followers instead of one group and this was his undoing.

I think Arkat is the ultimate master of "Will to Power" because he used everybody and anybody to further his war, which furthered himself. He changed sides and shape at a drop of a hat to keep his crusade going and every step of the way he gained more power.

Now everyone assumes that he lost his self after the war and that possibly he was destroyed anyway. I think he wasn't destroyed and truly did become a god. I think he, like Lokamayadon, interposed himself into the mythic structure he observed and became a major deity of Death. But I do think he lost his "self".

The progression is there to see. He started the war as a mere soldier. His ability was great and he did well but unlike most of his Brithini contemperies he saw it as a chance for advancement and personal gain instead of merely obeying orders. When restricted, he joined the Seshnelans and advanced even more.

However, I have to doubt his "conversion". He was Brithini then became an invisible god worshipper just like that? Isn't it a bit suspicious that he joined the faith and army that would give him the command he desired when he also knew the Talars would never give it to him? This speaks of pragmantism and cynical decision making of a tremendous degree.

So he does well but is baulked at Kartolin. At that point he is met/saved/quested for by Harmast. Harmast tells him _all_ about Lokamayadon and his interposition between worshippers and Orlanth. Arkat drops his faith immediately and becomes Humakti. Again, just like that. He must have been very convinced by Malkion. Not.

I've seen and agreed with much speculation that Humakt wasn't Humakt then, he was Humath (and still is in places) and Lokamayadon controlled the warriors through his monopoly on the religious forms. Now I think Arkat joined _Humath_ originally, after all it was a form that existed in Ralios, but when he went to Maniria he had trouble seizing control over the area due to Lokamayadons grip on the power of the cult. To curtail that grip, Arkat copied him and changed the rites of Humath to those of Humakt using much of his own teachings (which included and emphasis on honour unlike normal Orlanthi honour but much more Westernised).

Of course this meant that as his army grew in power, Arkat recieved much of the power by this indirect worship through him.

At this point he, due to his enemies dangerous and sucessful use of chaos against him, he changed religion again and became Zorak Zorani. There are some interesting things to note about _that_ particular change:

  1. He was called Arkat Kingtroll. In a matriarchal society? There had been male Troll warlords aplenty but _never_ a Kingtroll. Arkat was creating his own powerbase within Troll society as he did in every other society he joined, often at odds with its traditions.
  2. In the presence of Kyger Litor himself, Arkat alone stood unbowed. The Trolls noted this fact with awe but it speaks of a fundamental schism with true Troll society. If he would not bow to the mother of all Trolls then was he really a Troll? I think no matter what his appearance he is always Arkat, singualr and unique.

So his final march led to Dorastor and victory. I think Arkat won. It cost him, but he won. Everyone says he was different afterwards but he still acted like Arkat mostly. I suspect the change was similar to Oddi the Keens after illumination though of a different source and that was the increasing worship he gained.

After his victory, he recieved the worship and power he desired from the Humakti, from the Trolls, as a Saint in Ralios and as a Chaos monster (this bit was unintended I think) in parts of Ralios and in Peloria but I don't think he took into account the effect such diverse worship would have, it tore him apart, he dissipated. He was no longer singular, he became a plethora of forms and his body simply faded away or was torn apart.

Note how he hung around for 50 years after his victory and at first he was pretty vigorous, setting uo the Grey Lands, forming the Dark Empire, crushing the Seshnelans, populating Guhan with Trolls etc but as the years went on and the events became more myth than memory, so his worship in all those different forms increased and so the pressure on his self also increased in proportion and in the end even his will failed. I think this is pretty common with heros.

IN CONCLUSION:
Arkat _did_ achieve transcendant power as he desired but like the other Gods, he achieving of such power bound him as firmly as any chains. He became many refections of the worship he recieved so though he attained the power, there was nothing left of himself to enjoy it!

Martin Laurie