responding to Ian on elemental power

From: Delecti_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 20:16:22 -0400

>>ian i. gorlick on elemental power<<

Geez! (errr I mean... Arkat!) It seems that this is really bugging Ian.

How about this, for all their power and possible use, most people do not use elementals to power things like mills, ships, furnaces, etc because:

  1. The average gloranthan has a slight fear of techno/magic oriented items as they are god-learnerish. Thus those who do use them had better be: in power, subtle, or not noticed.
  2. The stress on the material being used is too great. We are dealing with bronze-age materials here. And as others have pointed out, elementals are raw power, the larger the more force you have to channel.
  3. As they are non-sentient, they do have to be controlled. Sure you can use them to run a windmill, but you cannot keep them going constantly unless you have someone with a long term spell to control them, and if you do, that person had better not let his mind wander (i.e. while on sylph control duty at the mill, joerg notices a cute lass he has been interested in and thinks about 'picking her up' tonite at the inn when.... the sylph he was controlling picks her up and slams her into the nearby inn as it trys to follow his wishes.). They are very dangerous and thus need really careful use. Waertagi probably have a better control of undines being tied to the same rune, thae same with sylphs and windchildren.

I am sure in some areas there are elementals used in such ways, for example:

  1. Mostali are of course the best at using elementals in various techno ways, salamanders to heat forges, steam engines, sylphs to channel out smoke and refresh the air, undines for watermills, gnomes for construction, etc.
  2. Lodril cultists use salamanders for forges as do the Mostali, but also can tweak them to do more specific things do to their understanding of the nature of their god.
  3. Lunars have many new innovative uses for elementals and are not going to not use an elemental if it has a good use.
  4. Earth cultists have gnomes to move/pulverize rocks, till soil, fertilize, bury, etc.
  5. Aldrymi use gnomes to move large plants/trees safely (for the plant, less chance of shock), turn rocks into soil, as guardians (i.e. gargoyles)
  6. Sorcery using societies use combination of the above in varying quality of use.

I never meant to open a tin of mostali foodstuffs here when I suggested this.

Scott
aka
Delecti_at_aol.com