Balastors Axe

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 10:42:04 +0800

>What is so great about Balastor's Axe? What makes it special? What
>powers does it have?

        Well, understand that the recent mentions of the Axe are firmly in the camp of 'in my game it did this'. The Axe as written up in Big Rubble is not all that special (ie certainly not a mighty elemental weapon of Earth), except it contains the spirit of Balastor, who bound his spirit into it when he dies fighting trolls. It is thus very important locally to the Pavis cult (and by extension their allies and enemies), as Balastor is the last known Champion of Pavis, and the Axe is the weapon of the Champion, so the restoration of the Axe would be a big step in the return to past glories for the cult.

        In my game, it has almost no significance outside Pavis, except for containing a fairly powerful (Pow 20 with rune magic) spirit. Inside Pavis, its recovery (or rather, the return of Balastor) will energise the Pavis cult, and earn their great gratitude.

        But if someone else decides it does something else in their game, then it might be far more significant in their campaign.

        Cheers

                David