Players priorities & reputations

From: Lewis Jardine <JARDINE_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 10:38:40 +0100 (BST)

Hi All

        I have to agree with the poster who stated that at high skill levels
(over 100%) even power gamers start to regard their skill levels as only
marginally important. The most important thing becomes Magic powers, HP and to some extent AP. In a campaign I ran a while ago the party was from a variety of cults and the best weapon attack ranged at the end from 70%
(for the firendly sorceror, I doubt whether I'd do this in future...) to
over 170% for the Humakt with greatsword. Interestingly, the Orlanthi windlord with only 115% attack seemed to keep up very well and never appeared to be the poor relation. It is worth remembering that altough he was lucky enough to wield the Windsword (!) his effective combat skill was only about 170% (including enhances etc.) whereas the Humakti were at least 210% and the Storm Kahn Minotaur (a bear of very little brain, but plenty of mindless violence) could easily deliver attacks of over 300% against Chaos foes!

        I suspect that the greatest change has come in RQ3 where %s over 100 are not subtracted from parries. Also at this level it is important to be able to survive the occassional critical that is bound to come your way. Shimmer 10 from the windsword is idea for this! However, when alls said and done the Rhino was probably his greatest asset as it made a SIZ 10 shortass look really impressive. Very few people bothered to hang around when he mounted up and started to look as mean as his rhino!

Cheers

        Lewis