Revisionist Arkat

From: mr happy <ajbehan_at_tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 12:11:25 +0100 (BST)

Peter Metcalfe:
> He appears to have been suffering the Plethora of Forms before his
> victory. At his initiation into Kyger Litor (in the Troll Gods
> Yellow Booklet), Arkat appears to swarm over an opponent 'as if
> there were four or five Arkats' according to the observer. Food
> for thought.

Arkat strikes me as being analogous to King Arthur or Robin Hood. A figure of dubious historicity to whom a multiplicity of current legends became attached. Either there was no Arkat or his actual achievements have been blown out of all proportion in the intervening millenium as ever more deeds have been incorrectly attributed to him. The plethora of forms is an obvious clue that Arkat is a (Godlearner?) mythic construct not a real historical figure. - ----Andrew Behan