The Call of Krjalki

From: D M McNamara <D.M.McNamara_at_durham.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 12:15:37 +0100 (BST)

 I'd have written sooner but i've been embroiled in exams...
  1. Anyway, on the subject of 'the man from DOOM' in snake pipe hollow. Glorantha being the place it is, a chaingun is perhaps inappropriate, but it doesn't stop Blastowicz from being a Mostali. To my knowledge, we are never told what race he is, and his eyebrow twitchings seem characteristically 'Mostalian' to me. Therefore can't he enter snake pipe hollow with muskets blazing? I've recently come to see 'the man from DOOM' as an iron dwarf, and it enhances the game no end (why can't he wave an adamantine axe in your face instead of a chainsaw?).
  2. I like the idea of cthulhu in glorantha. Certainly, i would not want investigators blowing away broo with 8 gauge shotguns and screaming 'guns go first!' but i like the 'cosmic horror' aspect. The book of drastic resolutions, illumination and bizarre chaos monstrosities, could have easily been plucked from a call of cthulhu game. Of course, carl stanford hasn't yet cropped up in glorantha, but i'm sure many lunars are as devillishly fiendish as he (we always imagined him as being a clone of peter cushing). In glorantha, seeing many chaos horrors is sufficient to induce raving lunacy, like the crimson bat, for example. Gaining cthulhu mythos knowledge as an excuse to fight the mythos itself is similar to illumination i feel - ultimately it may corrupt and destroy the hero, and place him/her/it in the clutches of the forces they would wish to resist. Of course, if you are illuminated it is also a force for good - there is some hope, unlike the mythos. One wonders if the sacrifice is worth it. Illumination, like so-called postmodern theory (which was always present in the philosophy of the likes of Nietzsche in 'modernist times), has the potential for liberation, but could also spell the doom of all sentient races on glorantha. Personally, i feel that illumination in itself is not wholly dangerous, only the ends to what it is put (arkat used it to save the world). Of course, there are great dangers in uncritically equating 'postmodern' theory with illumination (i assume you mean lyotard, mainly). The real world is not like glorantha - glorantha is obviously full of gods and magic, and it is difficult to resist the nature of their existence when they are so substantively 'there.' I must confess that it is wading through post-structuralist gunk that i have come to approach illumination. However, like theodor adorno (frankfurt school bloke), i feel that postmodernism presents a limited pluralism - there is still a subtext of what can and cannot be said. I suspect glorantha is like this too, in that underneath illumination there is a hidden agenda. I cannot empirically support this, it is just a 'feeling' - illumination for example, questions some things, but not others. The nature of lunar colonialism is not criticised - an enterprise which cannot be objectively supported (it has an inherent 'positionality,' in that it depends where you stand) by any means whatsoever. Therefore i would argue that illumination, as presented by lunars at least, is limited and dangerous, and not really truly relativist. So there.
  3. I noticed the roman technology debate was rearing its ugly head again
    (and boy is it ugly). Since my earlier arguments i feel i have to admit
    that i was probably 90% wrong in a lot of what i said....i've got to read up my lunar stuff, and not fill in the gaps with roman archaeology. After all, i personally wouldn't want to play an 'economic' gloranthan game about the heroic saga of how a brightly coloured pot got traded to a squint-eyed morokanth, and how that act brought down the lunar empire. Any road up, i suggest you check out john r. loves book on 'antiquity and capitalism' - its a weberian account of why capitalism didn't develop in roman society. I've noticed that many of you have inadvertently covered part of it - ie. they lacked a 'capitalist ethic' etc. Personally, the only people likely to have an 'industrial revolution' in glorantha might be the mostali. However, having said this, they probably aren't bothered about profit motives. Personally, i suspect that applying the historical 'accident' of capitalism to glorantha might be a mistake. I did this earlier, and had to confess i became extremely bogged down.
  4. Dwarf food. They eat something in cans, don't they? I once got extremely confused when i was asked in a game what it tasted like. At the time i suggested a mixture between cat food and cement mix. However, this seems somewhat clumsy - after all, i've never met a mostali. Am i right, or does anyone else out there have any ideas?
  5. That giant maggot in snake pipe hollow. I suppose it could be a mutated cthonian. But where was it going and what was it doing? It must have lived down there for a long time. We ran away when we saw it, screaming 'the mother of all maggots is upon us!' On the subject of snake pipe hollow, who was the little barley headed god you could bring back to life in it? Any ideas?
  6. I like the idea of SAN in runequest - after all, most of the time people only run away from things because they think they will get stomped, not necessarily because it is a sanity blasting horror from beyond. Perhaps a pendragon style 'valorous' stat might work. Anyway, here are some suggested san losses...
    (for a laugh)

gorp....(0/1d4)
walktapus.....(1/1d10)...obviously relations of cthulhu, they even regenerate like him - perhaps they are his nephews, visit rl'yeh on bank holidays and play cricket with easter islanders

Big Gorp....(1/1d10)
Charnjibber....(0/1d6)
Crimson Bat....(1d10/1d100)

The red goddesses crater....(1d10/1d100)..maybe yog-sothoth lives in there! Seeing inside a copy of Borderlands.....(1d10/1d100)

Anyway, enough of this...

7. I've been thinking about the existential terror induced by 'walktapus rations' (from dorastor). The regenerative power of walktapi is infamous. Some lunars and trolls like to eat bits of walktapi...does this mean that if they die with partially digested walktapi in them, that a walktapus will burst from the corpse (or indeed from lunar latrines favoured by connasieurs of walktapi brains).
  If this is the case, won't the lunar empire be overrun by rampaging walktapi? Also, it appears that a new walktapi grows from bits that are hacked off them (in the 'dyskund caverns' some chaos chap had the idea of breeding them by doing this). If this works, why don't chaos worshippers just breed walktapi by the billions? Perhaps there can be only so many walktapi in existence at one time (restricted number of souls?)....

  Dominic.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #626