Mysticism and martial arts

From: D M McNamara <D.M.McNamara_at_durham.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 17:56:33 +0100 (BST)

  A week or two ago Sandy put a piece on the digest about kralorelan martial art styles. It was very interesting - shame 'quack-fu' wasn't there though (to learn martial arts from a grandmaster one must learn it from a duck). However, i was confused (i blame the troll drinks). What is 'mysticism?' How do you get it, and what is it used for? Is it a heroquesting stat?
  I remember being similarly befuddled by the heroquest issue of TOTRM, which seemed to say that heroquesters got stats. Obviously, there are passions and traits, like pendragon, but there was also things called
'death fame' or 'wind fame.' I know most people heroquest in a systemless
way, but what did these mean...? Like mysticism, how did you get it, and what was it used for?
  I know its all a bit academic now, but i am interested in small esoteric things like this.

Dominic.

PS. I've been thinking about the idea that someone had about different cultures effectively worshipping the same gods, but calling them different things, or worshipping different aspects of them. Could the
'world machine' and malkionism (in its gods of glorantha incarnation) be
the same thing? They both seem similarly mechanistic, as if one was worshipping 'the laws of nature' or instrumental reason, rather than deities. I could be utterly wrong of course.