Capitalism and the Mostali

From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 13:06:54 -0400 (EDT)

D.M. McNamara writes:
> Personally, the only people likely to have an 'industrial revolution'
>in glorantha might be the mostali. However, having said this, they
>probably aren't bothered about profit motives. Personally, i suspect that
>applying the historical 'accident' of capitalism to glorantha might be a
>mistake.

Hmm, yes, but the Mostali are at least as much a satire as anything. They're a satire of modern consumerist society, so I think they have something like a capitalist ethic. Now, maybe they've turned into "Lottery Capitalists" like most of the people in the U.S. (and U.K., from what I hear). But I think they have a "profit motive," more succinctly labelled "greed." Like traditional norse dwarves or Tolkien's in that respect.

That's my horse's opinion, at least.