Arkat's Nature

From: Martin King <mav_at_mail.iinet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 10:19:44 +0000

Mike Cule wrote

 >From the earliest Arkat was Illuminated. He could not view any of the faiths he
> moved through as being the ultimate truth. He *knew* they weren't! He used and
> bent each of the cultures he was initiated into but this doesn't tell us whether
> he did what he did from motives we would regard as good or not. We don't really
> know now what the Golden Empire of Nysalor was like and whether Arkat's fury at
> it was justified.

It's true that Arkat was illuminated by the Elves; perhaps he was secretly programmed?

But Arkat was so successfaul at HeroQuesting because he had enormous belief and faith. He was able to switch his beliefs and faiths due to external pressures but whilst in a cult he was monomaniacal, driven. If he didn't have the sincerity and respect in his approach to HeroQuesting then he would have been a God Learner merely plundering the Hero Plane for his own good. Arkat didn't have GL attitudes but neither was he wholly altruistic. He was certainly a dangerous fanatic.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #628