Arkat's Faith

From: Mike Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 11:58:42 GMT

Martin King, he say:

> But Arkat was so successfaul at HeroQuesting because he had enormous
> belief and faith. He was able to switch his beliefs and faiths due to
> external pressures but whilst in a cult he was monomaniacal, driven.
> If he didn't have the sincerity and respect in his approach to
> HeroQuesting then he would have been a God Learner merely plundering
> the Hero Plane for his own good. Arkat didn't have GL attitudes but
> neither was he wholly altruistic. He was certainly a dangerous
> fanatic.

I'm certain that Arkat had a core of passion about *something*. What we are disagreeing about seems to be what. You are suggesting (if I've got you right) that like an actor (hem, hem) Arkat was able to convince himself of the truth of the role he was playing at the time, while being aware that it was only a role.

That's a rather nice idea. Thank you.

Actor and Genius.
AKA Theophilus, Prince-Archbishop of the Far Isles (Arms: Purpure, an open book proper, without clasps. On the dexter page the Greek letter Alpha or. On the sinister page the letter Omega of the same. Motto: nulla spes sit in resistendo.)
Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society: Better living through pan-medieval anachronisms.