Divers matters

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 1996 15:27:59 +1200

David Dunham:

>So Elmalus (if that appears in BCG -- I couldn't find it) would be the
>native term.

The description of Rastazar of the Penetelli (of Aggar) cites him as High Priest of Elemalus. So the name of the God in Saird does appear to have the -us ending rather than -io. I don't know for certain how the first syllable is aspirated given that Khelmal is found in Imther and a Emperor is called Helemshal is listed in the Fortunate Succession. All I can infer is that if there was any aspiration, it must be very weak (cf YarGan -> Arganum) or else Plentonius would have picked it up and devoted some effort to disproving the claims of the Sairdites to worship (Y)Elmalus.

>While reading Arrian's Campaigns of Alexander, I kept thinking, "this is
>Arkat."

This raises the question of the identity of Arkat's Hephaeston. Gerlant springs to mind as a result of a puzzling description of him as Arkat's Son.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #629